You will receive a 1099-B if you have sold any stock, bonds, mutual fund or securities in the tax year. You should receive this form from the financial institution or broker you used to make the deals. This form can be sent separately or may also be combined into a statement with other tax information such as earnings from interest and dividends.

You will receive a 1099-B for each sale made during the year. If you receive a statement from your financial institution or broker it may list multiple sales, with each line on the statement representing a single sale.

Recently the rules have been revised for the reporting of sales. Your agent is required to report the acquisition date and the cost basis for each individual sale. Your cost basis is generally listed at the original purchase price of the stock, bond, asset or property, including all associated costs. Because of the new regulations the IRS will be able to confirm the accuracy of the amounts and dates that are reported.